Logo

Confirmation of water circulation in 3A 3hp

mulquemi

Dear boating people,
I haven't used this motor for about four years and like a "goose"I didn't drain the petrol and follow correct storage procedures. There was hardly any water to boat in so I just forgot all about the motor until now ,water level best in 10 years and the motor is in a bit of a state!
I'd set all the gear up ready to go and couldn't get it firing (seriously blocked fuel jets etc)so I ended up having to pack everything up and go home for some problem assessment with the outboard.
As I suspected the carburettor was totally blocked with dried oil residue ,once cleared everything goes fine,now I cannot find evidence of a tell tale spray.
I believed the impeller pump unit was stuffed due to the years of neglect,I pulled the pump apart and closely inspected every part,all was well so I reassembled the propeller gear box bit and connected my cordless drill to the drive shaft and lowered it in the tub of water.Result , the best fountain of water I've seen in years-no problem there.
Prior to reassembling the lower leg to the motor I blew out the coolant pipe (from the water pump) with compressed air ,all clear there also.
After all was reassembled I had it running nicely in my water tub but still without a tell tale from the underside of the motor.
Is there another way to determine correct water circulation through the motor without pulling everything to pieces?
Kind regards
mulquemi

This might seem a bit sophomoric, but are you sure the water intake and exhaust hoses aren't blocked? It could be as simple as a wasp or some other critter taking up residence. If everything else checks out, it starts to narrow the field a bit.

Hopefully, it's an easy fix.

good luck,

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the reply,I'm still not confident the coolant system is fully cleared,even though I used compressed air into the metal pipe (motor coolant inlet) and I could hear air coming through the other end,presumably the engine coolant outlet although I'm not 100% sure.Other then a optical fibre camera to look see up into the underside of the engine to check connections etc ,what should I try next?
Mick

Back