Logo

Mariner 60 twin video.

typhoon

Regular Contributor
Not enough photos or video on this forum, so thought I'd share.
I finally got my 60 twin to run for more than 10 seconds at a a time, plenty of adjsutment of synch to throttle etc got it there
It still won't do a nice, slow idle, but I'm getting closer with it.
I really need to find a factory manual, neither of the non factory ones I've used get the synch right.

Congrats, I didn't have the nerve to paint mine before I got it running. By the way, I think I've got mine. I plan on painting it this spring. What did you use on yours?

A Yamaha built, two cylinder looper of about 50 cubes. Nice. The hull shape looks pretty fast as well. What does it do?

Jeff

Jeff, when it was a workboat in a previous life, it would do about 30kts lighty loaded with an old 40 twin. That engine nad no trim or tilt either, so I'm hoping for at least 40kts out of it as is. It will definitely need another prop and at least a 2" lift on the transom to get faster, but I don't want to optimise it for pure speed, it's going to see rough water on occasion to. I don't want the prop blowing out in a chop!
The prop on it now is just a general purpose 14-15" pitch thing, designed for larger, heavier boats, these engines were usually fitted to 15-16ft half cabins.
It's also quite a light hull, when I was putting it back on the trailer after I rebuilt the trailer, I could just lift the transom across by myself. I reckon she's about 300kgs with motor etc (660 lbs). The cockpit floor and centre console were rebuilt a few years ago by a local sailing skiff builder, so it's light and very, very strong.
It was a very stable hull, it belonged to a good friend for years, and it used to be used daily on Sydney harbour, which can be very choppy with a sea breeze, not uncommon to have a 1 metre chop and this boat loved it, I NEVER stuffed a wave, even in 2m seas, it would just power right out. I'm a big guy and I can stand anywhere on the boat and the reserve buoyancy is huge!
The way to drive it in rough water is to stand, legs clamping the console and balancing using the steering wheel, quick helm adjustments could then be done by simply leaning and turning the wheel at teh same time, very quick response this way and easy to do. It is a very fun boat to drive fast. By standing, your legs took all the pounding.
Boatathome002.jpg

Boatathome001.jpg

The paint I used is a 2k base and 2k clear. I just had a local auto paint place mix 500ml of something close to a part I supplied and had some clear left over. I still need to paint the other cowl I have. The key to painting outboards is degrease a couple of times, lots and lots of prepsol, feather all corrosion and old paint out, good etch primer and keep degreasing between stages. The nature of 2 stroke oil means it gets everywhere!
I got rid of that light ratcheting sound in the video today, the shift controls had self adjusted into the wrong spot, I think I'll buy a new Yamaha control box sooner than later, the old Mariner one is a bit suspect, lots of play.

Regards, Andrew.

Last edited:
Back