Logo

Big foot

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi all i want to ask your opinion. I am searching to buy an outboard to put on a rigid hull of about 300kg of weight that normally they install 50 to 60 hp. Now i have found a mercury 60hp 4stroke 2004 model but it is a big foot. Will it be good if i install a propeller with a big pitch as it is a low gear case? Or it will still not give a good running performance ? Thanks Jason

As long as the motor runs within the recommended RPM's it should perform ok but even with a bigger prop,top end is not going to be spectacular as the big foot was designed to push weight with less hp. One thing to bear in mind,a four stroke is heavier than a two stroke.

If your boat is in fact only 300kg, a bigfoot won't suit it, the gearing will be all wrong. You'd never get a prop properly optimised to the hull and engine.
Bigfoots are workboat engines, meant to push, big heavy boats at moderate speeds. If you try to install a prop with enough pitch to run the "top end" with those gears, you'll likely never get on the plane.

Regards, Andrew.

Back