Logo

timing confirmation 1971 80 hp

wemertz

I'm doing my best to make sense of the timing instructions in my manual for the 71'
80 HP mercury 4 cylinder OB that I have recently acquired. When I put a timing light on the number 1 cylinder, I can not even come close lining up the marks with 23 degrees.
Am I correct using cylinder 1?
The book also says to move the vertical lever to line up with the marks, but again, I'm way off the mark.

Any suggestions would help.

Wayne

Re: timing confirmation

We need much, much more information.------------23 degrees is " full throttle timing "' ---idle is around 5 degrees.----------------Have you heard it run??------When did the motor run last??.--------- Has any work been done on it??.------------Has anybody had the belt off??---------Has anybody taken the flywheel apart for some reason ??-----------------------------Could be the belt is not timed correctly or the flywheel is not " indexed " properly.

Last edited:

WOW. . .we have some very knowledgeable people out there!
My son-in-law says he had it turning over for a few seconds by priming the system.
No one has worked on it, with the exception that I put in a new fuel pump diaphragm. The old one was a little stiff. I have no idea when the last time it ever ran. I took off the top engine cowling and the timing dots seem to line up with the arrow on the pulley. To my knowledge, no one has removed the fly wheel.

I sure need your help on this one. The manual isn't comprehensive enough.

Thank you very much.

Wayne

Remove # 1 sparkplug --------turn flywheel to TDC and see where timing marks are.---------------- the term " turning over for a few seconds " do you mean it ran or what.-------------If it actually ran then timing is not that far off.------------If the motor has not run for some time I would look for a problem with dirty carburetors.------------------Do you have spark that will jump a gap of 3/8" on all 4 plug leads.-------------Have you removed and cleaned the distributor cap??-------------If no one messed with the motor than the timing is likely right on, as it is fixed. No adjustments are normally needed.

The motor ran on its own for about 15 seconds when it was primed.
Since then, I replaced the fuel pump diaphragm.
I haven't touched the distributor cap yet.
Later on today, I will check the spark plugs and bring the #1 cylinder to TDC and check the marks.

Thanks again.

Well if it ran for 15 second while " primed " what ever " primed " means, than there is not a lot wrong with the timing.----------------I would take the carburetors apart for a thorough cleaning.---------------You can not afford the run a 2 stroke machine with carburetors that are not absolutely clean.---------Do a compression test as well and report the numbers.----------Clean the distributor cap too.--------------You MUST install a new waterpump impeller, if you have no idea when it was replaced last.

Back