Logo

2 or 4 stroke yamaha 115HP

sapper

I am new to the boating world I have a chise of two boats 1 has 4 stroke and the other has 2 the boat are in about condition size and price how do I choose.

I have a 2000 v4 2 stroke 115 hp using pre-mix fuel and carbs. Essentially in it's lowest common terms, if my motor has fuel and spark, it will run. The 4 stroke has more moving parts therefore more things to fail. In my opinion, 4 stroke technology has not yet reached the "tried-and-true" state that 2 stroke has. Just go through the forum posts and compare the number of posts with 4 stroke motor issues with the number of 2 stroke issues. Allow for the larger number of 2 stroke motors compared with the fewer number of 4 stroke motors and make your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Possibly quite a big difference in fuel burn between those two. The carb'd 115 2 stroke is thristy even for that generation of technology, so fuel savings with the F115 would be noticeable. On the other hand, the 2 stroke 115 is comparatively bullet proof, whilst the early F115's at least had some issues. Basically simple and reliable but thirsty, vs more complex and potentially problematic but easier on fuel.

Back