Logo

Electric start kit 1986' Mercury 35hp

yaaintdeadyet

I have a 1986 Mercury 35hp manual start motor. In these "later" years pull starting this gal has become more an issue what with shoulder surgery's and her tight compression. I'd like to fit an electric start kit if that's possible, providing there's a kit available. I've searched the forum can those of you with Mercury in your blood give me some direction?

Re: Electric start kit '86' Mercury 35hp

It all depends on what you want to do.---Does your motor have a ring gear on the flywheel ? ------------Crank it over to start / charge a battery / manual choke / remote location with key switch .-----------------If all you want is the back saver then electric start with a push button at the motor is all you need.-------Best to see a dealer , and explain exactly what you want to them.

Re: Electric start kit '86' Mercury 35hp

Look on E-bay for a flywheel, then get a starter there as well--check the part number carefully, for there's several variations. (Note that earlier 40 hp became 35s with the re-rating on the mid-80s.) A common auto solenoid can be mounted on your boat instead of the motor--I do it that way--to simplify things. A simple push button switch (like a horn button) does the rest. And don't worry about battery charging: a small, lawn mower battery will sttart it 20 times over if its in good tune.

Jeff

Back