Logo

40 hp 4-stroke won't start 2006

jedgel

I have a new,but 2006 motor with less than 20 hours on it and it won't start. Had a problem right after I got it and they said it was from water in the gas. Cost $400. 6mo later I had a similar problem. Cost$531. I put on a water filter and bought gas with no ethynol, and now I can't get it to start. The gas is 1 1/2 mo old. It tries to start' but dies like its starving for gas. Have I just got a lemon or what? I'm afraid to take it back a third time and have them tell me it's still not covered under the warrenty, which has 6 years remaining. (though I don't know what the warrenty covers). Any ideas? Thanks

Re: 40 hp 4-stroke won't start

Many dealers love the new 4 strokes as they generate a lot of shop revenue.------Fuel contamination / cleanliness is an owner responsibility.------------------In the future disconnect your fuel line when you are done boating and run the carburetors dry. That keeps them clean.--------It takes very little dirt to plug up the holes in carburetors, and leaving fuel sitting in them is a mistake.-------------------Sound like the carburetors need cleaning again.

do not run the carbs dry,its worse, and if you trailer home you wear out the needle and seat and your float height changes

run stabilizer and you will be fine

your carb is probably dirty and a can maybe be cleaned with seafoam in the gas

Just run the carburetors dry, it is the best thing you can do.----------------The needle will not be touching anything, so can not " wear out "

yes it will when you trailer without gas

yes the rubber will dry out because of no gas

considering i do this for a living, i would do what i have been told by the manufactures

The motor ran (in my driveway) 3 mo. ago. Wife got breast cancer so I haven't tried to start it, but bought new gas 1 1/2 mo ago and just now tried to start it. I did not run carbs dry last time I started it in the driveway. I was starting it weekly before and it started good. Do you think I need to have carbs cleaned a 3rd time? or is there something I can do? I am mechanically inclined and have a full set of tools.

If you take your time you can do it yourself ----NO PROBLEM.--------------------I do not think the factory stores new carburetors in a wharehouse " SOAKING IN GASOLINE "--------------You can find parts pictures / carburetor blow-up on ---------boats.net -------------That will help you.---------------Go to --------------google ---------------search for " yamaha winterization checklist "---------------Info right from the people who know !!!

Last edited:

try adding seafoam in a new gas tank and it might clean the carb out

but no such thing as a mechanic i a can

Back