Logo

6-71 rotation

nbcbob

I have twin J and T 671 TIB's in my 88 Viking, I was under the impression that each engine turned opposite each other. I checked at the front Gen pully and each Engine turns the same direction. Where am I confused.

If the crankshafts turn the same direction, then you've been mistaken, for whatever reason, that your engines turn in opposed rotation. These engines can be set up to turn in either direction but require quite a few dissimilar parts to make it work and that can be a real pain at overhaul time. Go by the crankshaft though and not the generator pulley as the accessory drive can be rotated either way to accommodate the rotation of matched alternators.

Depending on your gear boxes, it is possible that your props counter rotate for steering and course tracking purposes. Not sure I'd prefer that either as that will come with some frictional power and efficiency loss at the countered drive due to the additional gear required.

If you can post a picture of your intercooler set up, it might get you better info on that job. I'm not familiar with that set up so I have no other input for you on your other post. Good luck.

Back