Logo

Md11c injector pump issue

sail4evr1

Hi all,
I am trying to remove my injector pump for testing. The workshop manual has no instructions or diagrams for removing it, such as what other parts have to be removed first. Only instructions for reinstalling. Also there is no information about resetting the timing upon re-installation. That is ok if there is only one way to put it back, but I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't messed with one of those for many years, but as i recall the removal is pretty straight up...take out the hold down bolts and pull it out. Of course you have to remove the hard lines first. It's a very simple device; just two pistons, so it is rare that it would go bad. It runs off the crank, so timing is not adjustable. The governor assembly was what always got me. I dropped a wee little pin into the dark nether regions once and it ruined two whole weekends.
It was a happy day when I threw the whole thing into the landfill. Replaced with a Westerbeke.

If it's like my MD5A injection pump, you need to disconnect the control arm from the balljoint and centre the 'slider rack' (sorry, my term for it) before attempting to lift the pump. On my engine there is a seperate cover on the back of the engine (close to pump) to get access to this. timing angle is most likely affected by shims (the gasket) between the pump and the mounting surface on engine. I would say there is a fairly finite amount of adjustment this way, as each shim lifts the pump further from the cam that drives it. My workshop manual states that each shim changes the injection angle by 1 degree.

BE CAREFULL NOT TO LOOSE THE PIN IN THE ENGINE. It is a straight forward procedure...remove all the lines then the 4 bolts holding it down to the deck....now CAREFULL.. the fuel throttle lever that your throttle cable is attached to under the deck inside the block has a c cup that has a pin that sets inside the cup....if you pull up gently on the injection pump and have the throttle lever in the correct position so it clears the block then the pin/spacer will come out with the pump but if you get rough with the removall or do not have the throttle lever in the correct position then the pin will fall into the sump of the motor....much like the dowel pin on the dodge cummins.
There is no timing to worry about just re-install with gasket or gasket sealer.
And for gods sake do not replace it with a westerbeak or anything else...these are simple slow reving long lasting diesels
Mitch

Back