Logo

Charging system issue

Ok so I was checking my charging system and there wasn't anything of a charging system to speak of. Took the wires off the rectifier and did the tests the book called for and determined it was bad. Got one off ebay hooked it up and pretty much the same thing on the battery end. The ohms continuity test from the book tested good on this unit. Started the engine and hooked my meter to it, reved it up and nothing above 12.2 volts.

Cut the motor off and thought about it a bit. Took my multimeter and hooked it up to an engine ground and then the red wire to the purple wire on the terminal block. Started the engine and had 13.2 volts at idle, revved it a bit and it went up to 14.4 and a tad above so there it was charging ok. So I traced the purple wire up to the front under the dash and it is hooked to the tach which doesn't work.

So now I wonder what is going on... Either something isn't hooked up or something is in front of me that I am missing. Don't know what the deal is but at the battery I only got 12.2 volts and nothing more. Got 13.2 at the terminal block and 14.4 when I rev it so why nothing at the battery? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

So here is my question... If I got proper results at the purple wire on the terminal block with 13.2 at idle and 14.4 - 15 when rpms go up and it also goes up to the back of the tach.... where or what wire does this current run on to get back to the battery? The white wire on the terminal block isn't connected to anything going out that is... It is connected in from the module on the right side but on the left side going out and up to the front of the boat it is disconnected. Basically my system is charging but the juice isn't getting back to the battery nor is the tach working...

Back