Logo

1995 merc 115 hp oil injection

cut-throat

What are the chances of this system failing? I've been told there's no chance in helllll and I've been told that the early merc oil injection system stinks.

Any facts out there?

Thanks

Re: 1995 merc 115 oil injection

Well, the oil pump is driven by a plastic gear on the crankshaft.--------I have seen failures on this gear.---------------I have seen hoses that have cracked and caused failures.---------Failures are very expensive.-------------------These systems are " automatic " but they need to be looked at and maintained.

Plastic gear huh. I'm thinking about buying this motor from a friend and it has been well maintained and also fairly cheap. I don't necessarily like the fact that there is a chance of the system failing, especially when I see words like plastic and gear used together. I guess I could just disconnect the system and pre-mix given that the motor is 15 years old.

Thanks

You only hear about the few that have failed. You don't hear about the many thousands of them that are still working well.

Also, plastic gears are used and last of many things. Many automotive manufacturers use plastic gears in the transmission to drive the speedometer.

And yes you could disconnect and premix, but if the pump failing bothers you then that would apply to everything on the engine. A connecting rod, piston, bearing, etc. any of these could fail and cause engine damage. The old AutoBlend wasn't the best but the newer oil injection system works well and like ibnfshn said, you seem to never hear about those thousands and thousands that are working fine.

Back