Logo

55hp 2 stroke outboard cuts out with fuel line connected

Jordan7137

Hi, I have a problem and hope somebody knows what's going on before I spend big $$$ on repairs!

I flush out the outboard and run the fuel from the engine every time I finish using it. I use 50-1 unleaded/oil premix.

On Saturday the engine would turn on with very low revs, even with the neutral rev lever up the revs would be very low then eventually the engine would stall after 30 seconds. The engine stalls as soon as the boat goes into gear.

If I pump fuel into the engine with the bulb then disconnect the fuel line, the engine runs like a dream (until the fuel runs out!). If I do this then connect the fuel line, the revs drop and it stalls again within 20 seconds.

I also notice that with the fuel line connected, the exhaust is spewing out oil, with fuel line disconnected, it doesn't.

The bulb is firm, the line has no tears or splits, the connectors on the carburetor and fuel tank are sound. The parts in the fuel tank are ok. There doesn't seem to be blockages in the fuel line as it drains out both ends well.

I tried to look under the lid but I'm no mechanic. There is a small outlet in the metal part of the engine that is fed by the mini plastic fuel tank thing (it has a few screws, one that is spring loaded). When the fuel line is connected, the outlet pours out fuel and it collects at the bottom of the engine (is this normal??). When I disconnect the fuel line this outpour stops and the engine runs fine.

I hope somebody can help me ;/

Thanks a lot

Jordan

I'm no mechanic either, and only recently acquired a boat motor, so I'm just starting out myself.

Weird situation, for sure. It almost sounds as if the system is getting too much fuel, and flooding itself. With the fuel line connected, it spews oil (probably oil and gas combined?) out the exhaust. If it's unburned fuel, then it must be getting too much.

Does the 55HP have two jets like some other models - one for idle and one for high speed? The idle jet may be adjusted correctly, while the high-speed jet is open wider than it should be.

Did this motor run well before this incident, and it just came on recently?

Others with ideas may want to know the what make and year you're referring to.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Good luck

Sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump ( fuel goes directly into engine ) or a leaking flooding carburetor.----------When you squeeze the bulb does it go hard ??-----------------If not the fuel is going right thru the pump into the engine or a carburetor is leaking. -Should be easy to figure out which it is.

Thanks for the advice.

It certainly does seem like there is too much fuel coming through yet at the same time it is not being utilized by the engine.

It is a single jet, and it was running perfectly. Suddenly on Saturday it just didn't want to start.

The bulb gets very firm but does soften up as the engine in struggling along. Just running the engine on idle while it struggled seemed to really heavily use up the fuel too.

Let's start over.------------What is the model # of this motor ??----------------Look up on ------boats.net ------------and explain what this " mini fuel tank " thing really is.

Back