Logo

What oil for my 1985 115 Merc ?

donaldrh

What is the correct oil and mix ratio for this motor ? I have Evinrude brand premium XD-30 for my Erude 100 hp V4........Should I use this in my gas mix for the Merc or use Merc oil ??

Thanks Dontn_DSC02342.JPG

50:1 is the mix-----------------use a little more oil ( 45:1 ) for continuous full throttle running. TCW-3 or other top quality oil.

I mix 16oz -6 Gals and run wot once in a while for short spells...........Same for my 100 hp v4 Erude so think I'll stay with that.......Walmart is supposed to sell tcw3 pretty cheap but not sure of the quality. The XD30 is supposed to have addditives for superior performance and protection as I have been told..??

There are only so many oil refineries and there's no difference,in my opinion,in the oil.If it says it's such 'n' such a quality,it doesn't matter whether it is Wal-mart or Yamaha,Evinrude,Quicksilver or any other brand. I,for my sins,used to drive fuel tankers and I would be at the depot filling my tank and have such 'n' such a brand and the guy in the gantry next to me pumping in the exact same diesel/gas as me but a totally different brand,expounding how great theirs is.
Oh Where I live it was mid morning,closer to noon:D:D and me not too long out of bed:)

Outboards live a tough life.--------------Go with the names ( Mercury, Yamaha, Evinrude , BRP ) these oils are blendid as per their specifications and as such cost a little more.------------These oils are cheaper in the long run and certainly cheaper than having to buy a new motor. Most motors do not wear out , they end up torn apart because someone made a mistake and cheap oil is one of those mistakes.

I've used geniue Quicksilver in my Mariner 115 since it was new in 1987 and it's still running strong. That should tell you something. Would cheaper oil have worked? Maybe, but for a few bucks more it's worth it to me. Not trying to knock you haventaclue, just my two cents worth here. I run at WOT most of time she's running and I tend to add a bit extra oil each time I fill up.

Well like haventaclue stated as long as it meets spec......TWC 3, then its okay by manufacuters specifications. I'm just one of those dummies that stick with Merc for Merc and Rude for Rude, etc, etc.

Back