Logo

Before I buy the manual...... F9.9LF 6G9 L 302795

bbudesa

I'd better see if I figured the age of my motor correctly.

F9.9LF
6G9 L 302795 plus, there's an 'F' in the lower right corner.

I figured it was a 1989.

LF = Left hand pull, Four stroke

Auto choke (I hate it)

thanks for any help or opinion.

Last edited:
Re: Before I buy the manual......

I found this on the net after a bit of searching, not straight forward (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_read_yamaha_outboard_serial_number). I figure yours is a 4 stroke 9.9hp long shaft(as it is not S but L) 1989. Hope this helps.

There is no user information contained in the Yamaha outboard serial number other than identification of the particular engine to which it is attached. All information for the Yamaha is contained in the model number, i.e...... F6ESRY
F = Model Designation (Four Stroke)
6 = Prop Shaft Horsepower (6 HP)
E = Trim & Tilt / Starting Method (Electric Start)
S = Shaft Length (15")
R = Control Method (Remote Control)
Y = Model Year (2000)

Last edited:

Thanks mate. Now you can see why I was confused too.

There's a wad of numbers there to try and sort out, not knowing which number equates to which description, etc.

I too think it's an '89, although the last chart you attached said a 6G9 was a 1985.

I think the F in the lower right corner, according to another forum, indicated 1989.

thanks again,

Bob

I'd go with 1989 as it appears to be from an overall rule for all Yamaha outboards, whereas the 6G9 being 1985 is from a table and could just be a typo.

My Yamaha 55 is from '74-79 but is plastered with Mariner stickers and would have been originally sold by Mercury'- confused? All the castings have the Yamaha logo (three tuning forks crossed) and on the serial plate is uses the same 663 designation but with Mariner printed on the plate. I bought all my spares through the Yamaha dealer after cross referencing the Yamaha 55hp parts catalogue for part numbers. At least with Mariner serial numbers a given range of numbers matches a particular year, option codes are also stated but aren't confusing.

Back