Logo

DP-A1 Trim Cylinders

kiwi_lad

Does anyone know if anybody other than Volvo manufacture trim rams to suit a DP-A1 leg or has a second hand set that are in very good condition and do not by-pass or leak? Volvo part number 872612. Very expensive from Vovo!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for that info on seal kits. Mine are the early ones and most people say you cannot dismantle them. Will need to remove them for a full inspection. Volvo 872612 are the replacement units for the originals of same dimentions and mounts.

Kind regards,
Kiwi_Lad

The "square-ended" trim cylinders are easier to get apart than the newer models that require a spanner wrench. You just need a crescent wrench or "plumbers" wrench and unscrew the end. Or use a pipe wrench and unscrew the cylinder from the internal end.

The replacement seals run about $15 per cylinder. The one "strange" bit is the piston seal (seals the piston to cylinder). Its a "compound" seal -- an o-ring underneath a Teflon band. The o-ring presses the band against the cylinder wall.

The guy on ebay has seal kits for the newer models -- charges a little $$ for the seals, and an outrageous amount for the "handling." If you can get the cylinders off, take them to a hydraulics shop and they can find seals that will work fine.

Craig

Many thanks Craig. When I get the boat out of the water I'll pull the cylinders off and see what I can do with them.
Yes, I did notice his "Handling" charges. Thought they were a bit steep considering how small the seal kits were!

Kind regards,
Kiwi_Lad

I am pretty sure he setup the auction like that to minimize eBay fees he gets charged after someone wins the auction. His price is more reasonable than almost $400 for new cylinder

Kiwi_Lad,
There's a good write up here:

http://volvopentasterndriverepair.webs.com/sterndrives.htm

The gist is that you need a good spanner, and the end caps are held on with red loctite (need heat to loosen them).
The former owner of my boat gave me a box of stuff, including some old trim cylinders. Out of curiosity, I tried to open one, and found that I could remove the endcap after heating it with a propane torch.
I presently have a leakdown issue with my trim system, but I put some spacers on the trim rams to limit travel to the "0" position.
Wes

Back