Logo

Engine issue 2003 75hp

I have a 2003 75hp four stroke. It ran great until one day two seasons ago. One day I filled up with gas and later that day it started skipping and running rough. I thought bad gas so drained, refueled and still had the same problem. I replaced plugs and no luck. Took it to a dealer and they said it needed a sync and link. After that it ran much better, but still skipped occassionally. This past summer it ran ok, it would still skip occassionally and sometimes wouldn't want to start. This would happen sometimes after sitting and sometimes after being warm. No real pattern. I was always able to get it started by cranking it for a while and giving it throttle when it would eventually catch. Thank god I have a good battery. The last couple times of the season an alarm would sound when I started the motor. Fluids are all fine and fresh.

The boat is now sitting in my driveway as the season has ended for me here in Maine. Last weekend I could not get it started after it had been sitting for several weeks. I pulled the plugs and only the two bottom ones were wet. The top two were bone dry. The plugs looked fine. After putting the same plugs back in the motor fired right up. I'm thinking I might have an ignition wire issue. I'm not skilled enough to replace these myself so before I take it to a mechanic I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. Sorry this is so long.

Re: Engine issue

Do you drain carburetors when finished boating??? You can do some testing / diagnoses yourself.------------Check the strength of the spark at each plug wire.--Must jump a gap of 7/16" or so.--------You may have an issue with carburetors .---With the quality of fuel today the small jets( very small holes )plug up with gum / dirt.-----You say the top two were dry , so I would look at it first.--------------Your primer units are working ok ??-----------Outboard carburetors are not that complicated, the average man can do them if he takes time / works carefully.

Historically I have not drained the carbs at the end of the season. What are primer units?

What year / model # is the motor ?? Primer units take the place of " choke flappers "-----------------------------When you leave fuel in the carburetors the small holes in the carburetor jets tend to plug up.-----Always run carburetors dry when done boating and taking the boat out of the water.

It's a 2003 75hp 4 stroke. I'll have to get the model number. Would clogged jets cause an alarm to sound when starting the motor?

It is a momentary alarm. Like one to signal low oil, but the fluids are all fine. I winterized it over the weekend. I siphoned out all of the gas and drained the carbs.

It sounds like I'll be cleaning the carburetors in the Spring. I think if I buy a service manual and rercuit the help of a friend who has done this on motorcycles it should be doable. Do I need to buy a carburetor kit?

I have a fantasy that I could spray carb cleaner in the brass drain plugs on the carburetors and that would magically clean them. I'm guessing that won't get the cleaner to where it needs to go. Since the carbs are drained for the Winter would there be any harm in me doing that and letting it sit? Are the brass drain plugs located on what you would call the bowl and the jets are located before there in the fuel system? Sorry for the stupid questions. I have all Winter to think about this.

Back