Logo

1986 Chris Craft Scorpion 22 foot

cosergeant

Hi everyone. I am new to this and would like to know how many gallons my 22 foot Scorpion cuddy cabin with a 5.7 V8 motor has in it. I tried to see the plate but cannot. I just bought it yesterday and it was showing about a 1/4 of a tank. I filled it up getting 60 gallons in it. I was told it maybe a 78-80 gallon tank. I cannot find any other 1986 Chris Craft Scorpion 22 foot on the WWW... I cannot find any other photographs of my boat anywhere on line, maybe I have the only one made? It has two captains chairs in front, and a long bench seat for up to four people on the back. The cubby has a large double opening, and a Fridge of some type on the left, "don't know how it runs? and a small pump sink behind it. Maybe you just put Ice in it? And a Cooker on the Right side with plenty of storage under everything. I do not have any books or anything and would really like to hear from anyone about my one of a kind! Scorpion boat. It is really in great condition for a 25 year old boat nearly. The motor is only two years old and has 156 hours on it. I would love to hear about anything on my boat you may have. I measured it and it is 22 foot long, 74" wide and looks like a 42" draft from swim platform to tip of motor.

welcome to ME.com!

There's some www info on your hull/model but it is scarce. I'd check with the guys at chris-craft.org. They specialize in the older, wooden flavors but willingly embraced the newer 'glass' models. Think there's an annual fee - ask/email and see if they can help. That hull is from the "Murray age" and some hulls have had structural issues so check it out thoroughly before you sink a lot of time/money into it. If it has issues, they should be pretty obvious by now.

As far as the tank goes, try a mirror and flashlight to get the data off the plate. if that doesn't work, you can always measure it and calculate an approximate volume. What you will find is the tanks are made in "nominal" sizes and will have a little variation between parts. What is more important is how much of the fuel you can use from the tank.

One last note, boat builders are notorious for 'stretching' the truth, especially with marketing and model numbers. re-measure the hull length, down the keel line if possible. If it exceeds 22' by anything, it is likely to be labeled as a 23x model. The x should give the powertrain/hull configuration (can't provide anymore specifics than that on the use of the 'x' digit). sometimes, old sales brochures show up on ebay.

Mark, Thanks, I just got title from owner and it says it's a 21 foot. It also says it's a VS Body, and on Nada that does not excist! Maybe I do have a one off boat? I cannot find any photos of my boat, well the same type as mine I mean. I now have the HID# and have contacted Chris Craft for more info, and asked them for a tour of factory as I only live 25 miles north of them. Awaiting an answer. I believe it's a 85 gallon, I see on the tank top CAP 85 I think? The hull looks good and I am not getting any excessive water from the drain when bringing it back, and see no cracks? If so, did the have a recall at all? If the tank is a 85 gall, what would be the usable gallons? Never heard of that before, I thought if a tank held 85 gallons, than your engine died when the tank ran out of 85 gallons? Wonder how much I had left to use?
Thanks, Arthur

Just remember, the Chris Craft of today wasn't the same outfit that built the hull you bought. The HID# will help if they have any records left.

Recall - you are funny....back then, if an issue popped up and the builder was small, they'd file bankrupcy in a minute.

The deal with "useable gallons" is very few tanks are custom built for the hull. They come in and get installed. The pickups usually come very long and need to be cut for the tank. Standard practice is to provide a gap between the tank floor and the pickup screen....see where all the variability comes from?

Best thing to do is measure what you can use...that's all you can get out of it so that's all you can fill it with.

Hello all. I have a stupid question, and they always say a question is never stupid! Yea okay, some are. lol When I am going down the river at slow speeds "No wake" I am zig zagging like a drunk! Is this normal, or am I really drunk and don't know it? And honest, I do not drink when on the boat. Second question, When at most speeds, until my top of around 43-45mph on my 1986 Scorpion 21 foot cubby cabin I seem to be leaning to the port side, That's left, right? I do not take on any water, well after an hour on water and pulling the drain plug, drips come out. So, is my boat just not stable or am I too fat at 200 pounds and need to stand in middle when wife is steering it? I would have said wife is on port side, but I value my private parts guys. I look forward to any replies, from anyone! I get lonely and no one writes to me at my e-mail address either. lol
Also, I really know nothing about this boat, and would welcome any and all information on my 25 year old Chris Craft, Scropion 21 foot cuddy. Thanks, Arthur

pages: 1

How does the boat sit in the water, at the pier, with nobody in it? If level then you need to do something to "trim" it out (adjust ballast to leel things out).

As far as the zig-zag, not unusual at 'idle speed'. could be the trim tab needs adjusting or the steering linkage is loose if it occurs off idle. another thing to remember is minimal steering wheel movement at low speed.

Back