Logo

Low oil tank sensor

rick50

Can somebody tell me how this sensor actually works. It has two blue wires encased in a rubber sheath at the bottom of the oil tank, on the outside of the tank. It is not connected to the inside of the tank. My manual does not give any details on how it works,but only gives directions on how to check the sensor. I have a 1995, 125 Mariner, s/n 0g196982.

The reason I am asking this is because the alarm was going off, with 3/4 tank of oil, and when I unplugged one of the blue wires it stopped. When i checked the sensor like the manual said to it showed it was bad, but after buying a new sensor this is doing the same thing. Is there something in the tank that makes the connection to this sensor?

the switch is a magnetic proximity switch. It has a float/magnet which is inside the tank. I have seen this before, your float is not floating anymore. You will need a new tank. To verify take a wire and hook the float and raise it up, your alarm should quit.

Hi folks,
I have a 2003 90HP 2 Stroke Mariner (Model: 90ELPTO). I had the continuous oil level warning tone too and replaced the sensor, as I was able to confirm the magnet was still bonded to the float. After fitting the new sensor the system (tone) behaved perfectly when I lifted the float using a long non metallic hook, and let it slide down again. Problem solved..... or so I thought. However, as I filled the tank with 2 stroke oil the alarm tone went off (as expected) but then, when the oil level was approximately 25mm / 1" above the sensor, the tone started again and stayed on. It didn't matter if I jiggled the float, the tone stayed on. After several attempts draining and refilling the tank with no difference in behaviour, I drained the tank of oil and tried filling it with water so I could see what was going on with the float. (Don't panic, the tank was disconnected from the oil pump inlet line.) Anyway it all worked perfectly this time!! Any ideas why the tone would be generated when I fill the tank with oil, but the system works as it should when I fill the tank with water instead of oil? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cooch

Back