Logo

Frozen Steering 2003 75hp

I have a 2003 75hp four stroke. The motor is stuck all the way in the left turn position. I don't know what the proper terminology is, but the steering rod on the motor is stuck all the way inside the tube. I took the large nut off the steering cable on the starboard side of the motor, but I couldn't get the cable out. Is there a trick to removing the cable? I don't want to cut it as I'm not sure if my problem is the rod and tube or cable. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Frozen Steering

If you unbolt the steering arm does the engine turn freely? At this point you are probably looking at a new steering cable and tilt tube.

Re: Frozen Steering

Yes, I unbolted the steering arm and the motor turned no problem. Is it possible the problem is the cable and not the tilt tube, or do you have to replace both?

After you loosened the " big nut " can you pull the cable and move it out a little??------------------if no movement it is seized in the tilt tube.--------------Gentle bumping with a rubber mallet on the end may get it moving.----------Depending on the boat, sometimes the motor has to be away from the transom ( on a hoist ) to get the cable out and a new one put in.

99.9% the cable is frozen in the tube, so you are looking at a new tube and cable. As said above, the engine probably has to be taken off the boat to get the clearance to take the old stuff out and give you enough room to replace the tilt tube as well as getting the new cable into the new tilt tube. Use lots of grease.

When I loosened the large nut I basically couldn't get any of the cable out of the tube. Maybe 1/16th on an inch. Looks like I'm springing for a new cable and tilt tube. I've also been trying to diagnose an engine issue. I'll start a seperate thread for that. Thanks to everyone for being willing to help and share knowledge.

With the nut loose can you turn the wheel?? I would first determine where the problem actually is.---------------If the cable is seized in the tube, the cable itself may be OK.-----------------A small propane torch may help in loosening it up.--------If that fails you could split the tube with a minigrinder to get the cable out.-----I assume salt water use.

Last edited:
Yes salt water use and kept on a mooring. I didn't try to turn teh wheel with the nut loosened. I'll try that and some heat.

Back