Logo

what year is my 40hp mariner?

bradfry

hi there,I have a 40hp short shaft mariner.It is electric & rope start.the serial no# on transom clamp is 676 s 00414.Can anyone please tell me what year this is and does it charge a battery while running,cheers.

1977. Check here http://www.marinshopen.se/Motorer/OmMotorer/Mariner/Fastst%C3%A4ll%C3%A5rsmodell/Produktions%C3%A5rslista/Mariner4055hp/tabid/461/Default.aspx

My SELOC manual states that your engine has a charging circuit. You would have to check to see that it is still working though, you may find that after 40+ years at least one component will need replacing or at the very least some terminals will need replacing or cleaning. The SELOC manual I have covers all 2hp - 60hp, 1 and 2 cylinder, 2 stroke models for 1977-1989, the book is number 1400 in the series. They are really good but recently I was forwarded the original service manual for my outboard and I have found it contains a lot of information that the SELCO one doesn't cover. Having said that it is specific to one model only, but it covers that one model well. If you can get a copy even of an original service manual for a 40hp (mine is a 55hp) outboard that would be a great place to start.

If you aren't fairly competent with electrical stuff you will probably need to find a marine tech/mech who is happy to look at your older outboard. I have had to do everything on mine so far. Having said that, once I found the Yamaha part numbers that relate to the parts I was looking for, the local Yamaha dealer was happy to confirm that I had the correct numbers before ordering them. There haven't been many parts I couldn't order, some I chose not to keep as spares for "a rainy day" based on price.

Last edited:
sorry to jump on your thread bradfry
wanted to express my thanks to wynjim and cliff for the kind hospitality and help
quick reply box not working on my thread ie.no submit buttons and could not post a new thread in the help section due to their being no button also

happy to help, all my info has been gleaned from hanging around sites like this anyway so no reason not to pass it on.

Back