Logo

Electrical Help - Yam TLRC 40 - Lights Dim when trying to crank - No Turnover

riverventures

Yesterday when starting my boat I could not get it to turn over on either or all batteries. The motor would make a partial crank, the cabin and nav lights would dim and no crank. I did it a few times and eventually the motor cranked over like there was no problem. Ran it all day off and on, no problem.

This morning it did the same thing and eventually cranked up. Turned it off and that was the end of getting the motor to crank or even act like it was going to crank. Turn the key and nothing. All lights work, batteries test fine, starter cranks when override.

I have a 703 side mount and when looking at the outer rubber ring where the key inserts it is gooey. The key has black goo on it as well. Cleaned off the key and no change.

I took the control apart and the ignition swith wires look fine, the entire outer case of the ignition switch looks fine, just the keyhole rubber seal melted.

Any idea what is going on here. No burnt wires in the control.

Thanks

This might help. I tried to pull start the motor with the key in the on position and it wouldn't fire. I had a bad regulator once and I could start it fine with the rope and the key on. Not so with this issue.

Back