Logo

Fuel issues? older 9.9 4-stroke

bbudesa

I'm new to motors, being an old 'row only' drift boat guy. Recently purchased an older 9.9 4-stroke on a boat, but having trouble starting it.

I've had the carb overhauled, and the shop said everything was a 'go'. But.....having problems starting it. Plugs are new.

Should I use only ethanol-free fuel?
Should I be adding some sort of fuel enhancer or stabilizer?
Should I just put regular fuel in?

How long can I go without using new fuel? I've had fuel in the tank for about a month without starting - could that be the problem?

Thanks for any and all tips and suggestions.

Re: Fuel issues?

The motor has an automatic choke, which I dislike. As far as the bulb goes, I pumped it until my forearms ached, and it was as hard as a rock. Did this several times, so unless the internal valve was leaking (which it didn't seem like), the motor had to be getting fuel. That's what you mean by 'priming', right?

Maybe I over did it, and flooded it?

Well, I finally got the damned thing started. Got some new fuel w/o ethanol, and added some marine Stabil to it. Took the cover off, plugged the air intake to choke it, and finally got it going. Glad to know I didn't need to shell out more $$ to get the jets cleaned.....again.

Anyway, new question - it seems like a necessary evil to these 9.9's is to start it and run for awhile every week or so. Anybody else come to this conclusion? Is it advisable to unplug the fuel line and run the motor out of fuel if it's not going to be used for awhile? How does everyone else take care of their motors with impending down time?

thanks

Run the fuel out of carburetor when done boating !!---------When ready to run, use bulb on the hose to fill the carburetor again.

Back