Logo

Problem with remote control for Evinrude Outboard 1991 150hp

KB9VGD

I bought this boat a couple of years ago and the controls just don't work properly. This is on a 1991 Evinrude Intruder 150 and the controls that came with it.

1. Forward/Neutral/Reverse work correctly.
2. In forward direction, the rpms will not increase until 2/3 throttle position and then I have to keep making corrections all the time to maintain the rpm setting I want.
3. Fast Idle lever doesn't do anything.
4. In reverse direction, engine rpm stays at idle and will not increase.

My thoughts are that the owner before me replaced the two cables, they look pretty good shape, and switched the shifter and throttle cables on replacement.

Any thoughts on this?

Gary - KB9VGD

Re: Problem with remote control for Evinrude Outboard

If the boat has seen a lot of use or seen some rough owner/operators, the box could be worn out by now. another possibility:

Even though there may be 'new' cables in there, they may never have been correctly adjusted. If you don't have access to a good shop manual, just ask on the Evinrude outboard board - plenty of experience there.

If the shift and throttle cables were 'switched' you wouldn't have the functionality you describe.

Last thought - when the cables were renewed, the control box wasn't put back together correctly; something as simple a a missing bushing can cause lots of grief. again, check the shop manual or try the evinrude board

Back