Logo

50hp OB Stuck IN gear. Please help.

fishtown101

Changed impeller on my 50hp 4 stroke Suzuki OB, and when i put the lower unit back on, I am now stuck in gear. What did i do wrong? I believe it was in "forward" when i pulled out/put back on the lower unit. Is there any "order" in which to follow while doing this? I plan on taking it apart in the morning. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

remove the lower unit again and if the prop spins freely then put shifter in neutral and reinstall

if it is in forward gear the prop will click backwards

remove the lower unit again and if the prop spins freely then put shifter in neutral and reinstall

if it is in forward gear the prop will click backwards

Thanks for the reply! Boat hasn't been touched since i posted this because i had no idea what to do. Let me understand better. If the prop spins free, reinstall with the shifter in neutral. If the prop "clicks backward" that means it is in forward but where would i want to put the shifter before reinstalling? I would guess, forward. Just want to be 100% sure. Thanks again!! Ben

ok, if spins freely you in neutral

in forward gear the prop will spin forward but click going reverse (counter clockwise)

in reverse it spins both ways, no clicking

so find out what gear your in and put the throttle control that way

Back