Logo

Smokey Volvo AD41A's

Does not help at start up.
Might perhaps make the engine hit operating temp a bit sooner and in some cases reduce smoke at low idle, but that is all.
Check your injectors and the injection timing.

I have had the injectors serviced - made no difference. The boat looks like it's on fire when i start up. New air filters also fitted but no difference either. Engines are sweet as a nut when warm with vitually no smoke but dreadfull on start up. I thought the exhaust flaps were supposed top reduce this?

i have a tamd 41a i got a heater for anti freeze it cuts down on smoking at start up still smokes but not as bad

'Fraid it's a feature with the "A" series- they do smoke! Improved compression ratio, pistons, and cyl head on the "B" series improved things a bit, but even the "B" series smoke on start up. I know quite a few people who have spent fortunes trying to cure it. My advice would be to live with it. Some people have improved things a bit with a fuel additive such as Soltron. Maybe worth a try if it really bothers you.

Most boats you see advertised around 1985- 1990 appear to have the 41A's. This must be a lot of boats but i don't see any others dissapearing in clouds of smoke in marinas when they start up in the morning

Back