Logo

F150 Lower unit is "stuck"

normo

Attempting to remove the lower unit to change the water pump impeller. Have removed the 6 bolts, trim tab bolt, and set the gear shift to neutral. The lower unit will not drop down with hand pressure/twisting.

Replaced the middle bolts on each side several turns to keep the gearcase from dropping completely and tried tapping on a wooden wedge place on top of the two very small triangular cast "tabs" on the lower unit just below the split line. Wedge kept slipping off the "tabs". Reluctant to go further without some advice from those that know.

Gear shift does not have to be in nuetral.---------------In this case I believe the driveshaft spline is rusted solid in the crankshaft spline.--------------This should be taken apart regularly to be greased.---------------I have used a hydraulic puller to pull the lower unit off.------Results may vary.

Attempting to remove the lower unit to change the water pump impeller. Have removed the 6 bolts, trim tab bolt, and set the gear shift to neutral. The lower unit will not drop down with hand pressure/twisting.

Replaced the middle bolts on each side several turns to keep the gearcase from dropping completely and tried tapping on a wooden wedge place on top of the two very small triangular cast "tabs" on the lower unit just below the split line. Wedge kept slipping off the "tabs". Reluctant to go further without some advice from those that know.

When you said you removed the trim tab bolt, did you mean the trim tab bolt and the other bolt under the trim tab ?

Problem solved thanks to inspiraton from racerone. Decided to pry the lower unit loose rather than beat it to death and break the fins. To do this I screwed the middle bolts into the housing most of the way and then made a wooden shim that would sit on top of the fin just below the bolt head leaving enough clearance to insert a small pry bar between the shim and the head of the bolt. To keep the shim from slipping I beveled the edge so it would take the shape of the chamfer between the fin and the housing. Didn't take much force on the pry bar to pop the lower unit free.

sure , no problem------------------Motor will likely have to be removed from boat and laid on the floor.You will need to drill a hole on the skeg that is in line with the driveshaft. Attach a loop of chain with a bolt thru that hole.Attach something to the crankshaft top thread and to a sturdy anchor point. Attach a puller to the chain.----------------It sound involved but will like save damage to castings if you go with a hammer and chisel approach.

Back