Logo

HELP !! 200 Mariner super magnum EFI racing motor.........Surging...Ser#OD935025

Danebramage

This motor surges on the lake has full power then loses power, off and on. So, compression is good 125# to 130# spark good on sparkie. Fuel pressure 36 lbs. while running in the lake on the trailor. Changed spark plugs and screw on fuel filter. Ran on flusher hose. When pulling plug wires while running, #1 and #2 do not drop RPM's all others do. So I think fuel problem. So I pulled it down and checked the reeds, found Boysen reeds and they are good. I then swapped the injectors, #1 and #2 with #3 and #4. The problem stayed with #1 and #2 still not running. Ok not injectors. I happen to have a spare ECU, changed it out. It ran the same, still missing on 1 and 2. I then looked at the plugs, 1 and 2 are wet but show no signs of firing, all others show signs of firing ( a little brown and drier). I then think timing, checked flywheel key. Found it to be splined not keyed, ok. When looking at the timing base it has some cracks. There is one small visible crack on the end of the magnet that fires the timing base. Can a timing base be bad and still fire, but out of time on just two cylinders? Can that crack in the magnet cause this? I think it must be timing or flooding 1 and 2 cylinders. At my wits end with this one, can't figure why it has spark, compression and fuel and will not run on #1 and #2. I even took a new spark plug and plugged it in to the plug wires on 1 and 2 with it running and grounded them to the block and had good visible fire on both wire/ plugs.the lake. Has full power then loses power, off and on. So, compression is good 125# to 130# spark good on sparkie. Fuel pressure 36 lbs. while running in the lake on the trailor. Changed spark plugs and screw on fuel filter. Ran on flusher hose. When pulling plug wires while running, #1 and #2 do not drop RPM's all others do. So I think fuel problem. So I pulled it down and checked the reeds, found Boysen reeds and they are good. I then swapped the injectors, #1 and #2 with #3 and #4. The problem stayed with #1 and #2 still not running. Ok not injectors. I happen to have a spare ECU, changed it out. It ran the same, still missing on 1 and 2. I then looked at the plugs, 1 and 2 are wet but show no signs of firing, all others show signs of firing ( a little brown and drier). I then think timing, checked flywheel key. Found it to be splined not keyed, ok. When looking at the timing base it has some cracks. There is one small visible crack on the end of the magnet that fires the timing base. Can a timing base be bad and still fire, but out of time on just two cylinders? Can that crack in the magnet cause this? I think it must be timing or flooding 1 and 2 cylinders. At my wits end with this one, can't figure why it has spark, compression and fuel and will not run on #1 and #2. I even took a new spark plug and plugged it in to the plug wires on 1 and 2 with it running and grounded them to the block and had good visible fire on both wire/ plugs.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for nuthin!!! I guess all you pros were stumped on this one too. I found out that in this motor there are diods in the power pacs. If one of the diods go bad it can back feed fire through to the wrong plugs. The top two cylinders were firing but at the wrong time. Two power pacs fixed it. Runs like a bat outta hell again. Feather in my cap. Also one for the notebook.

Last edited:
Back