Logo

Starting Problem

rlc3854

Haven't had the boat out in about three months and it has been beautiful around here. Have a few days off work and want to take the boat out tomorrow. Started to check everything out today and the boat wouldn't start. The starter is spinning but not engaging the engine. Could it be the battery just needs charging or is the starter/Bendix spring bad? Any help is appreciated. The motor is a 1994 75 HP Mariner.

Check all your battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight. And yes a low or bad battery can also cause that problem.

I recently had the same issue but I was using car battery to test start my engine. I found that the starter worked well if the solenoid was shorted with a screwdriver instead of using the start switch/key. In my case it will be a poor connection or corroded wiring. I thought the spring in the starter disengaged the pinion gear from the flywheel, centrifugal force makes it engage - no mechanic so could be wrong.

A poor / bad starter will not spin up to speed fast enuff to make the bendix rise up.------------------So check that battery is good and fully charged. Check all wiring to make sure connections are good. A drop of light oil on the bendix helps as well.----------------Caution ----These starters will not stand up to prolonged cranking and overheat quickly.-------------Modern motors start quickly and easily and if not you need to look for the problems.

Back