Logo

mariner 1991 50hp not reving

swarf

hi all my mariner 50hp 1991 will only rev a little faster than tickover, push the throttle forward and it just stays on the same revs but sounds as if its going to cut out, even on tickover it is very jumpy and not at all smooth, don't know if it is a lack of fuel getting through or a problem with the plugs, points etc. where should I start and how do I find a manual on how to do this, I can do all this on a car no problem but don't know where everything is on an outboard. cheers.

Re: mariner 50 not reving

No breaker points on that model ! -----------------Be carefull running it while you are hoping it will fix itself.--------------Prolonged running with a plugged carburator means no fuel and no oil going in to a cylinder.---------------Best to do a spark check / then a compression test / followed by cleaning of carburetors.

Last edited:

seems like you don't rate the engine, is it a bad model? the last time we used it 3 weeks ago we had no problems and hit 24mph with 4 people and an overnight load no problem, i'll have look at the things you've mentioned if I can do them if not i'll let the pros have a look, is there any chance itmaybe the fuel filter and if so is it easy to locate and clean.

What do you mean by " rate the engine " ??------------------All I am saying is to trouble shoot / fix the problem before risking major damage to the engine.

sorry I misread your reply, I will have a look at it this weekend. having read some more I will check the fuel filter first if I can find it.

Back