Logo

I'm pretty dumb

Don Woodhouse

Was anxious to go out and fish when I heard the Salmon were in the North Fork, then I remembered I had badly dinged the prop last year in low water. I took the prop off of my 6hp Merc and put it on the 15 hp Merc. This is where I fouled up. I put the inner thrust washer on backwards so after about five minutes of running the 15hp the whole propeller shaft and prop spun off and dropped to the bottom of the Lewis River. The thrust washer was up against the bearing carrier and just spun it out. I found the whole assembly in 3 foot of fast water the next day and scooped it up in a salmon net. Now I have the right prop repaired and all of the parts except the cam follower (which is on order). The question I have is ; when I reassemble how do I know where to place the shift cam on the shifter shaft. It threads on and there is room to adjust on way or the other. The cam has a hole in it that makes the shaft visible if threaded in that far. If I had to guess I would start where the shaft just is showing through the hole and reassemble and test the shifting.

I have the manual, but unfortunately it does not address the type of shift cam my 15hp has. It is the SELOC 2-40 hp 1965-91 . On page 9-37 it describes the shift cam for a motor with a rotating shift shaft. Mine moves vertically and that adjustment is not addressed in the manual. Is there an other manual that addresses the motor I have?

Don

Back