Logo

1986 Force 125hp Compression

Hello,
Went to look at a motor for my womans Bayliner and the motor had 165 165 170 170 for compression written in a black marker on the head. This sounds awful high to me but maybe it isn't. For an 86 engine of this type is this typical? I just got the 77 135Hp Chrysler and it has 125 125 125 125 which seems normal and excellent to me.

Nick

Re: 86 Force 125 Compression

It does sound high.Maybe the guage.Maybe the mechanic.
It should be with a good guage 150#
Always take a guage with you to test.If it's not possible or the mech don't want you to,then pass.
With a different guage you get different readings.The important thing is the readings are within 5# of each other.Any more than 10-15# could be a sign something is going bad. 165# is probably the guage.J

Re: 86 Force 125 Compression

Thanks for the info. I recently got a manual and it states 155-165psi on the cylinders for a compression reading. Maybe the motor got little use who knows. I didn't buy it anyway for all the taped up , glued pieces, missing parts, filthy motor it was along with a bad started and dead battery. I drove 3 hours to look at this good engine as he said and it was a piece of crap. Anyway I get fired up when I think about it so i'm going to stop there. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Nick

Back