Logo

Question about cooling system on 2004 Mercury 15 hp

johnorb

Today I installed a new water pump in my motor. After installing and putting the lower unit in a barrel of water I noticed that there was water coming out both sides between the lower unit and the motor. There is two small holes about 1/2 the size of a dime on each side just underneath where the bracket that holds the motor and lower unit raps around the lower unit. That is where the water is coming out, not a lot but enough that you can easily see it. Is this right or not. Thanks for your help.

Can you see this when the motor is installed on the boat ?-----------------Can you post a picture of the " leak "

Can you see this when the motor is installed on the boat ?-----------------Can you post a picture of the " leak "

Yes, I can do this but it will take a little while. And no, the leak would be under water when on the boat.

Thanks

Last edited:
It might be the way they are built. -On the boat you would not notice.

Here are the pictures. I put a small piece of white paper on each one on top of the holes. Hope that you can give me an answer. It seems to me that water is being pumped up the drive shaft housing and I do not know if this is right or not.

Johnny

Attachments

• HeadsUP Lite 2680 Recoil LED 092.jpg
    HeadsUP Lite 2680 Recoil LED 092.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 72
  • HeadsUP Lite 2680 Recoil LED 093.jpg
    HeadsUP Lite 2680 Recoil LED 093.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 65
Hopefully you got the water tube " hooked " up properly--------------------------Water goes up to the block and then must comeback down. It has to exit somewhere.-------I will have a look at some exhaust housings to see if they have the same holes , but not today.

Back