Logo

charging rectifier mariner 40 hp Manuel start 2 stroke

alanozzy

hi all
I have a mariner 40 hp Manuel start 2 stroke i think its around the mid 80s I think the rectifier is faulty I put a meter on in at tickover it reads 0.31 and when I throttle it go,s up to 0.55 thing I need a new one any one no ware I can pick one up for this model thanks all
regards Alan

Re: charging rectifier

The thing to check is voltage at the battery !---------------Motor stopped 12.4 volts-------------Motor running at fast idle 13.5 volts ------------At full throttle should read about 14 or a little better.-----------------

Really--------------Motors should never be run with the battery disconnected !!---------------------It can damage the charging system.------------The rectifier diodes can be tested with an ohmeter. I could explain, but an investment in a manual is the best thing and cheap compared to making expensive mistakes.

hi I wouldn,t no ware to start with ohmmeter I have a meter that I tested the output voltage that how I new it was low its all new to me at the minute im trying to sort it out without paying through the nose for it im greatfull for all your help

Last edited:

hi iv had a battery connected and with the outboard stopped its reading 12.97 volts and with the engine running at any speed its just the same 12.97 volts

Charging system is not working.------------Check ohms on the stator wires and if the seem OK replace the rectifier.

hi how would i check the ohms i have a digital meter there is no starter its a manuel start there is just a red wire coming out of the rectifier ??? many thanks

If there is just a red wire coming out of the rectifier it is magic indeed.!--------------Put some glasses on and look for a couple of wires going INTO the rectifier.-------------These wires would be coming from a STATOR under the flywheel.

Right now I’ve got my glasses on what we have coming out of the flywheel (stator) is two green wires which change colour via two connectors one is white one is yellow which going to rectifier also coming out of the rectifier is a black wire and the red wire (positive and negative) I have checked the ohms on the two green wires coming out of the flywheel (STATOR) and it is showing zero right across the board ? Is this what I’m looking for I have just done the test shown in the diagram I had some readings and no readings what it boiled down two was to replace the rectifier now next question where can I get hold of a rectifier for this outboard which I've indicated in the first question many thanks

Last edited:
OK I just noticed you are in the UK,I should have put on my glasses,so I'm going to throw a wild guess that you have a yamaha built mariner also the colour of the wires and the fact that there are four wires coming out of the rectifier.Could you post your serial # and if it begins 6E9 it's yamaha. Zero indicates continuity,good.Doesn't mean it's perfect.
To get a replacement www.billhigham.co.uk is probably the closest to you,that I know of.If my guess is right about it being a yamaha built engine you could take the rectifier to a yamaha dealer and see what he can come up with. www.billhigham.co.uk for some reason the other one doesn't work

Last edited:
Yes your guess would be right it does start 6E9 ML and the rest is L/315083 iv emailed bill highem the information I live about 10 miles from him I’m just waiting for a reply all your help is much appreciated cheers

I make that '87 a copy of the [FONT=&quot]Yamaha's 40FE or FEML models built between 1981 and 1983.Got that from Graham Lamb on this forum,a fountain of information on Mariners and always happy to share it
[/FONT]

Thanks very much for the info now I know if I need any part I know no the model and year thanks for that and all the other information if it wasn't for people like you and Graham and racerone people like me would be forking out through the nose thanks again I will keep you informed of the outcome

Back