Logo

Temp Sensor, Constant Alarm. 2000ish Merc 41hp, Oil Injection, 2Cyl

kerrywaynetake2

My warning beeper is contantly going off. Where is it located and can I test it with a multi-meter. The thread I saw earlier describes a location that I do not have. There is a small box on the starboard side of the head, just below the lower cylinder. SELOC ONLINE guide does not show a picture of the location.

Look for the black wire coming from the top/back of the powerhead above the top spark plug (what would be the top of the cylinder head if these had a head).

There are a couple different designs on the sensor but basically, follow it's wire and disconnect it (might be a simple bullet connector).

You can "quick test" with an ohm meter. Connect the red probe to the wire you disconnected and the black to any good ground spot on the powerhead. If you have no continuity (less than .2 ohms) and the engine is cool/cold (less than 195 degrees) then the sensor is shot.

When they die they give a false alarm - better than not letting you know and then having a real overheat.

An even quicker test is to just disconnect the sensor and run the engine - if the alarm goes away you know it's shot (and you don't even have to dig out the ohm meter) :)

Back