Logo

1997 Yamaha 130hp V4 Oil Issues

twinbo

I've adopted a 1997 Yamaha 130 V4. I've got it running but oil is overflowing thru the overflow tube from oil reservoir on side of engine. It seems as though the main reservoir in the battery box in the boat, is continually pumping oil into the engine reservoir. Result is puddle of oil in work area.
Whats up with this? How can I stop the engine reservoir from overflowing? Is it a stuck pump, or float? Thanks for any input.

Sounds like the float may be stuck on the bottom in the main oil tank on the engine. (The tank on the engine is the main, the larger tank is the reserve.) Make sure the float is installed correctly. If the float is working correctly, you need to check the control unit. It is the box on the side of the engine with the emergency oil fill switch on it. If this box goes bad it will keep the pump on at a slow speed.

Also a very week battery will keep that pump in the reserve tank running.

I've adopted a 1997 Yamaha 130 V4. I've got it running but oil is overflowing thru the overflow tube from oil reservoir on side of engine. It seems as though the main reservoir in the battery box in the boat, is continually pumping oil into the engine reservoir. Result is puddle of oil in work area.
Whats up with this? How can I stop the engine reservoir from overflowing? Is it a stuck pump, or float? Thanks for any input.

Remove the tank oil level sensor and test it for proper operation ( see photo below...). Let me know if you don't have a service manual for it. If you unplug the sensor from the harness the oil pump should stop. If it doesn't you've got a grounding issue in the wiring harness to the tank pump that you'll need to track down. As a side note, if the boat doesn't have a main battery switch installed that would be a great addition. Turn the battery off when not in use. Good luck.

-Mike

Yamaha V4 Oil Level Sensor 02.jpg

Back