Logo

Steering Help

Quill

Hi All :)
Have taken off my 40hp with problems and replaced it with a 9.9 ob.
Now my problem. Hooked up the 9.9ob the same way the 40 was dead center
of the handle and found out it will not go full starboard.
Was told to move the lingage a notch but there is no such thing on the boat.
The steeing is up at the bow and has a piston rod at the stern.
So would app. any advice i can get
Thanks Quill. Cheers

cable or hydraulic system? both outboards same brand?

old engine still around? if so, measure the length of both "tiller arms", from attaching point hole to the pivot point and see if there is a difference between the two.

Hy makomark
Thanks for the reply. :)
Still have the Johnson 40 ob.E.S. Year? Replaced it with 9.9 Suzuki (Spirit).
With the boat being a days drive from where i am i wont be able to get the
data for you for a couple of days. But will do so.
The system for steering the boat i dont think it is hydraulic or cable will explain.
First the shape. It is flat and round the rod does not enter into it if so sure not by much.
also this part is hidden at the stern Now the rod sticks out about 8in. covered with w.t flex
This you can see the rod backs up ito the flex to about to 3in and stops. That is the steering portion
i have to work with.
Geez .. Not being around boats often hope my explenation will help even understand.?
THANKS QUILL :)

Hi makomark
The 40hp is electric start and has no tiller arm. The 9.9 has but is not going to be used.
The 9.9 will be hooked up the same way the 40 was dead center of the handle.
From there its bolted to the bar rod from my Rotery system.
Now i measured each handle of both ob and found they were only a fraction of an inch dif.
to the center point
The steering is at the bow. Anyway i tried the steering and it still comes up short.
Cheers Quill

maybe a couple pictures would help....I've read thru the last couple posts and can't produce a consistent image of what you are seeing.

If you look up the wheel, you should be able to tell if it a cable-based system.

Finally, was the steering fine with the 40hp unit installed? Was this verified before it was removed?

Back