Logo

1985 Mariner 50hp broken throttle bracket

Alabamaboy

1985 Mariner 50 hp...I ran over a submerged log and broke the throttle bracket in the lower cowl. I notice it is made of pot metal. Is there some kind of kit to repair it or will I have to buy a new lower cowl? Thanks!

Re: Mariner 50hp broken throttle / shifter bracket

Thanks for the suggestion but, No, this bracket keeps the shifter and throttle cable outer winding from moving after they pass through the lower cowl. It looks to be part of the lower cowl. It has broken off the frame of the lower cowl and interfers with the throttle rod going to the carb. Now there is nothing to keep the outer winding of the cables stationary. It is hard to explain. It is like a lawnmower throttle cable. If there wasn't the little clip screwed to the motor to hold the outer cable stationary, the entire cable would move back and forth.

Re: Mariner 50hp broken throttle bracket

Can you post a photo of it? I manufactured a shift rod, almost anything is possible.

Last edited:
Re: Mariner 50hp broken throttle bracket

I have not had the time to take a photo and am going out of town Monday. I have the bracket wedged down out of the way of the throttle rod right now. Since the broken bracket holds the shifter and throttle cables inside the lower cowl, I have to keep it stationary some way or it moves when I move the throttle/shifter handle and when it moves it interferes with the throttle rod going to the carb. I will try to get pics asap. Again, I truly thank you for helping me!

Back