Logo

1989 85hp, top 2 cylinders run ritch.

retranger06

89 85hp, carbs are rebuilt, fuel-recurc system reeds and screens are clean, plugs are new, compression 120 across all 3 cyl. ,,, Problem,,At a idle while in gear. Top two cyl. are running extreamly rich while bottom cyl. is fine. is this normal for this engine? it makes adjustment of air-mixture screw almost impossible at idle, it seems to use allot of fuel and has exsessive amount of smoke, HELP!!

Re: 89 85hp, top 2 cylinders run ritch.

Check the fuel pump diaphram.Where the pump mounts it's called a transfer port.Sometimes the gasket starts to leak.
Get a manual and do a linc and sinc.It will make sure the carbs are all synchronized.

Re: 89 85hp, top 2 cylinders run ritch.

URIKA!!! " You my friend are a geneuiss".. I assumed since the screen was clean and it seemed to be pumping fine that is was ok... Well you know what happens when we assume !!! I Had a trash can for a fuel supply and half the lake was in the carb bowls.. I dont know why I didnt check the pump>>>>>>> Well the plunger spring was missing altogather and the diapham had a hole the size of Texas on both sides,, I also had about a pound of rust. Rplace with new pump, runs like a new one, just in time for the White Bass run.. Thank you very much.. Retranger06

Back