Logo

1985 90hp starting problems

mossboss

I have a 1985 90hp, all this year I have had a problem with it starting. At times it will turn over and over and won't start and then all of a sudden it starts when I just turn the key 1 time. an example from this past weekend-- started motor and went to first spot and fished, when I went to leave that spot it would not start and I tried for about 15 min. got mad and continued trolling along and about 45 min later I tried and it started right away and continued starting the rest of day. When it does not start I have disconnected the white eng. stop wire on motor and it still won't start. Could the pulsar coil cause this ( the readings on one set of leads is low) they want $400 for a new one and want to make sure before I spend that much money on a 25 year old motor.
I need some serios help with this one

I checked the stator -within specs, the pulsar coils one was within spec, and the other one was reading about 400 ohms low, I've disconnected the white eng stop wire from the CDI and still no spark, but other times it starts fine

before spending lots of money it is my experience especially on the older motors which have intermittent electrical sparking that all the earth connections should be cleaned and reset. in most cases the corosing build up between the earthing surfaces causes this kind of fault.

If the starter motor is not in good condition, it will not turn over fast enuff for the ignition system to work!--------------Check / try a known good starter.---From many years of experience.----Does the motor run properly when it does start?

Back