Logo

Ignition switch and gauge options for twin 2003 BF130A motors?

Jason4606

Motors are 2003 BZBE-1401xxx and BZBH-1401xx and I'm about to redo the controls and electronics in the small center console...

Currently have 2 x Faria 7000rpm tachs, and a Navman Fuel 3100 that should be ok but never worked right per previous owner. (might be a sampling rate setting for using with FI from what I've read. I'm going to assume for now that I can make it work.) Ignition switches are 2 x 32340-ZW5-023 with oil and temp alarms mounted side-by-side. That's it.

I want to maximize useful info available. But need to minimize space too. Something like a twin tach would be great! Or maybe a set of twin ign switches instead of the 2 larger individual panels? What else??

I think I want voltage for both batt's or maybe one and a switch, analog fuel, maybe trim? What about oil pressure and temp gauges instead of just the alarms? Are there any digital or multi-display options out there?

This is my first boat... What would you guys do for these older motors on an offshore boat, realizing there are some space limitations?

Thanks!
Jason

Go to http://marine.honda.com/products/accessories and look at gauge sets and key switch options for your Honda.

I would recommend the dual engine four-light switch set like the 36652-ZW7-100AH, because that allows you to run better diagnostics using the service connector if something goes wrong, which it eventually will. Make sure you get the correct harness.

As for gauges, I personally do not recommend the Honda digital tach and digital speedometer sets. They provide a lot of info, but they are hard to read in bright light, require you to manually page from function to function, and some of the functions do not seem accurate. I have them, but I don't like them. One thing I will say, is that the fuel flow meter, and consequently, the fuel usage meter are very accurate - within +/- 3 gallons on a 100 gallon fill up.

I would make sure that the Navman fuel guage is giving you accurate readings. That is critical in offshore runs. If in doubt, replace it.

Voltage is simple, just hook up voltage gauge(s) to either your battery or the connector on your harness. But I did learn something awhile back when I got my BF225. The voltage reading coming off the ECM, which is the normal way Honda does it, is about .8 volts lower than the voltage coming off the alternator. So I installed an analog voltage gauge hooked up to my main starting battery and ignore the voltage coming off the digital speedometer. That way I know the alternator is putting out what it is supposed to be putting out.

In forty plus years of boating I have yet to find an accurate fuel gauge. Best is to rely on your Navman usage data, and ignore the fuel gauge. I think the Navman system should give you cummulative usage from fill up to fill up. If not, then consider getting an upgraded system that does.

Oil pressure? You either have enough, or you don't. And if you don't, the green oil light goes off, the alarm sounds, and you go to SLOW mode. Not sure what variations in oil pressure will tell you on an outboard since they are highly dependent on ambiant temperature, engine temperature, and rpm's.

Water temperature! I think that is really important. Honda, apparently does not think so. They just provide an overheat alarm and shut the engine down in an overheat situation. I have installed heat sensors on both cylinder banks of my V-6 225 and monitor the manifold temperatures constantly. That tells me whether my water pump and thermostats are working properly. It's rather a simple installation. Send me an e-mail at [email protected], and I will send you the procedure for installing heat sensors and pictures of how I did it.

The shame of it all is that Honda is just getting around to equiping their new motors with an NMEA 2000 interface, which will allow you to display all sorts of real time performance information on your GPS Map screen. Unfortunately, Honda does not provide a retrofit for older engines. Technically, it would be easy to do, but they don't seem inclined to do so.

Thanks Chawk! I'm finally getting around to tearing into the boat upgrades, and was wondering if you can still send this info? I'll send an email with my contact info...

I think I'm going to get the dual ignition switch you mentioned. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, still trying to figure out what wiring is included, what will be needed, and what's already on the boat now.

Looking at going with Teleflex Lido gauges for the retrofit. Trying to get the final list together, and want to include temp per your recommendation.

Will likely go with:
2 x 65693P - 7K Electric Tach
2 x 65503P - Honda Trim
2 x 65506P - Voltmeter
2 x 65509P - 120-240*F Temp
1 x 65497P - Hourmeter
1 x 65496P - Fuel Filter (Agree on using fuel computer. But just want to have a quick visual ref & backup.)

These are 8 year old motors and don't have existing hourmeters. So I have no idea how many hours there are now, and adding 2 new meters wouldn't reflect them even if I did know... I'll keep a trip log for detailed info. But my thought was to add an hourmeter as another reference for maintenance. Since I'll track single motor use in my log to keep them balanced, my thought was to just use one meter and parallel both motor contacts to it.

Anybody see any issues with this list, or have other suggestions??

Sorry for the long layoff from posts, and thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks,
Jason

Hour meters are still a good idea for tracking usage per trip and maintenance intervals. Not sure how you will work the parrallel wiring to the hour meters.

Back