Logo

thinking of buying an optimax? 2005 225hp

gl115

Regular Contributor
looking at a 225 hp 2005 salt water version or a 2008 225&200 fresh water all 2 stroke.

there is a 225 4 stroke suzuki also, but no dealers local, also any opinions on pro line boats,
looking at a 23 sport center console and a 23 bay boat? can't decide.

anything I should be concerned with. do they run on 87 octane and do they last?

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Re: thinking of buying an optimax?

Great motors but can very costly off Warrently if any major componets go especially the ECU. I own a 2005 135 Opti. During the second year of operation one of the cylinders let go and burnt out the piston. These engines also have many sensors that sometimes cause false alarms. Don't get me wrong this is a great motor but really can't be worked on or diagnosed without the proper dealer and software. I will say this they are very fuel effecient as well.

Since you are looking at fairly recent model, higher horsepower outboards, no matter whether you opt for DFI 2 strokes (Opti or ETEC - only two above 200 horses), or a big 4 stroke, they are complicated enough that aside from general maintenance, they can not be adequately trouble-shot in the driveway with a screwdriver and a multi-meter.

All are ECU controlled, sensor driven contraptions that have to be "plugged in" to see what's wrong. In fact, if you disconnect a sensor to "see if it's bad", the computer will "pretend" that it's there and feed itself what it "thinks" the sensor would tell it if hooked up.

So all else being equal, both are prone to the same electrial/electronic failures, however, a 4 stroke model has about 500 additional "mechanical" parts compared with a DFI 2 stroke - and it can't break if it isn't there.

Both models are "environmentally" clean, so no real advantage there. Likewise, contrary to some of the advertising, at wide open throttle there is no fuel savings between the two designs.

The DFI 2 strokes have more torque, are quicker out of the hole, will generally give you a quicker top speed and have a better weight to horse ratio than 4 strokes.

However, depending on how you use the motor, a 4 stroke "could" be cheaper to run. Below 3000 rpms a 4 stroke does have tremendous gas savings compared to a DFI.

So if you plan on using a 200 horse as a trolling motor, then go with the 4 stroke.

galamb:

Thanks for the reply, try to do my homework before buying something, and you confirmed some of my thoughts.
thanks again.

Back