Logo

Duralac - jointing formula

wynjim55

Regular Contributor
I've read that Duralac is good stuff for bolts and the like but is it safe to use it on the prop shaft - bearing carrier - retaining nut?
It seems that most workshops don't even try to remove these other than to drill and break them into pieces. While they are still available even for my 40 year old outboard they aren't a cheap item, especially when you have to remove them to repair something in the gear housing.

I use it, it has it's uses. Developed specifically to isolate dissimilar metals and prevent electrolysis. Yacht riggers use it extensively to separate stainless steel and aluminium. I think it was originally an aviation product.
It WILL lock up threads if assembled into a threaded joint, but it's fairly brittle when it dries, so removal is not much of an issue. Where it's really good is sealing cavities around bolts, like powerhead bolts. Slop a heap of it onto the bolt and cavity, tighten it all up, paint the exposed bolt hole or bolt head with it and it'll be fine in 20 years.

Regards, Andrew.

Outboard mechanics don't care about longevity, after 5 years they just refuse to work on them, so they have no need to care about things like that.

Regards, Andrew.

Sure, but it's "cheaper" to spend $10-15k on a new outboard, rather than $1000 on an old one. At least, that's what they always say in the marine industry (and probably why I refuse to give local dealers my money).

Regards, Andrew.

Back