Logo

1989 8 hp Mercury No spark

Max3045

I have a 1989 Mercury outboard with type IV ignition system. Currently no spark at the plugs. I have checked the ohm readings of both coils (good) the stator checked good from the yellow striped wire to ground and the black wire to ground but on the yellow to black wire it reads 1.34 ohms and the book states it should be between 1.4 and 1.8 with this small of a reading being off I still do not believe the stator is the issue. Both kill switches have been checked and are working correctly plus they were disconnected just in case. The elecrtronic eye checked out (good) on ohms readings. The plug wires have 0.1 ohms resistance on each one and new plugs. The CDI had eight wires one of which is the black ground wire all grounds have been cleaned and verified to be working. But I have no information about the CDI or (switch Box) as the 50.00 book called it. And the book stated that information was not avalible at time of publishing. (what is that). So if anyone can help tell me how to check the switch box or my real problem I would be greatful.
Thanks Max3045

Just spent 1/2 a day trying to get my outboard going ,was going last time I used it and have had record rain fall since then (6mths since last started).
ran over every thing with multimeters blah blah blah, ......gave up...... one LAST try the heat gun on all electrics bang she goes...

Back