Logo

125hp mariner 1995 stops running after idiling when in gear

rick50

When ever i am idiling to a fishing spot the motor would just kill and will not start until about 20 or 30 minutes. It did this to me before, so after investigating ,I changed the stator and it ran great for about 2 trips and now its repeating the same problem. I tried to get it to act up in the drive way, at home, but after running it in gear it never killed. Any sugestions?

Re: 125 mariner 1995 stops running after idiling when in gear

Did you test for spark when the engine would not start? Do you have a serial number? 4 cylinder 2+2?

Yes it is a 2+2 and the serial number is 0g196982. I did not check it for fire,did not have anything to check it with. I can tell you that I took the red stator off and replaced it with a new stator.

On the 2 + 2 system ,I know it only hits on two clyinders when idiling and the book says it is cly. 1 & 2, but then it says every other cylinder, firing order being 1 3 2 4. so does this mean every cylinder is hitting in idle or does it mean just cylinder 1 & 2?

Every cylinder gets spark at all speeds...the bottom 2 cylinders do not receive enough gas/oil to promote combustion until 1800-2000 rpm. Only the top two carburetors have idle mixture screws...if the top two carburetors are in need of a rebuild, the engine will not idle properly.

Just got back from running motor and it killed on me and would not start. So i check spark plugs for fire and had none, on all four cylinders at first and then I started getting spark on # 2 ,but sporadiclly.

Well i forgot i had a switch box for the motor,so i installed it and it ran, without killing ,in idle for 30 minutes. Maybe that was the problem?

Back