Logo

Winterize 454 marine power

pcoops

Can anyone provide some info on winterizing my 1997 marine power 454. What are the steps involved? Also, marine Power states they stopped publishing a 454 engine service manual in 1992. My question is, is a 1997 marine powere 454 the same as a 1992 marine power 454?

1992 is normally the last year for a marine Mark IV block product. Most OEMs had depleted their inventory/orders by then. A 1997 is most likely to be a GenVI block though a Gen V is possible. The service manual steps should be "close enough" for all the bolt on items; the areas covering the engine internals will be different in many areas though.

use the search function to find more details and other useful hints. basically, you treat the fuel in the tank, change the fluids, as needed, preferably fill the raw water side with antifreeze, and then fog the engine. Adding a good coat of a corrsion preventing spray to the exterior is another good step.

Hey thankyou for the info makomark. More specifically however, the boat has fresh water, closed circuit coolant. Since there is no water entering the engine block for cooling, other than draining the water from the heat exchanger, what am I winterizing and, why did I pay 600 bucks last year for a mechanic to unscrew from what I surmise, 4 drain plugs on each engine? Am I missing something here?

Back