Logo

1963 Mercury 650 65 hp Carb Rebuild

ahrenskris

I am going to take apart and clean out the carb on my 1963 650 merc with a magneto and was wondering if anyone has any kind of good information or guide on how to disassemble it and put it back together or a diagram or anything. Also would there be a kit available to rebuild it. A guy at local shop said i just need to take it all apart and clean it.

Thanks

i have that same motor and was wandering if you new how the carbs were synchronized to the magneto mine runs and starts good but when i give it gas its not getting very much power because the throttle is only moving the magneto its not opening the carbs

Starting from idle, the throttle moves until it advances the spark all the way. The carbs should BARELY be open at this time. The throttle continues to move until the carbs are all the way open.

If the carbs open too soon it will bog every time.

Also--thanks to ethanol in the gas, older carb settings are a bit lean. Open the idle mixture screws n each carb 1/2 turn (CCW) and see if that helps.

Jeff

its the linkage in the control box somehow it binds up when its in gear and you try to give it full throttle and it binds and will start to back you out of gear so i get it to idle fine but i havent been able to get that and the linkage right so i cant get the carbs to open all the way up the linkage will only open them not quit a quarter of the way when in gear so it would only go like what should be almost idle speed on the lake so have been messing with it to see why its binding up in the control box but havent been able to figure out how to fix it

Back