Logo

1997 60hp ELPTO Lower unit junk

ibrutus1984

I've purchased a fishing boat with a 1997 60 Hp ELPTO. The lower unit has been seized. I'm looking to replace the lower unit, but there seems to be some discussion about replacing the "small foot" designed lower unit with the "Big foot" design. The first issue is that the original design small foot is hard to find rebuit/remanufactured as it appears this was not a good design. I have heard that I can "substitute" the "Bigfoot" lower unit with a few modifications like different waterpump bolts and a different water tube from the pump to the upper unit. Someone started this thread with the same question but there were no answers. I've been told the Bigfoot design is a beefier lower unit and while physically wider in the bottom, will work and be a better long term solution...or should I just replace with the original design and hope I don't have any issues.

Any input on this process is appreciated.

Re: 60 ELPTO Lower unit junk

It depends what you use the motor for.The bigfoot has a lower gear ratio designed to push heavier loads,if you are after higher top end this is not the way to go.Can it be used on your motor? I don't know,but if the holes match up and the changes let it fit and the splines on the drive shaft are the same I don't see why it won't work. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folk will be along shortly

Agree with the above. The (standard) lower unit on the 60's had 1.64 gears, the bigfoot has 2.31 gears - that will significantly change the performance. The bigfoot is meant to push along a very heavy or non-planing hull (like a pontoon) at low speed. The low gears prevent the motor from getting overworked - it's definately not a "high speed" configuration.

I would simply rebuild/restore the original. Merc gears (which generally came from Yamaha) and their cases (which Honda used for a number of years on their models) are known to be some of the best in the business. This one's failure can be likely tracked to abuse/neglect..

Guys,
Thanks, while I was leaning toward a beefier Bigfoot, I will try to find an "Remanufactured" unit. I believe this probably was abused, and maybe run low on oil. For between $1000 and $1500 I don't want to be doing this again in the future. Any insite between "remanufactured" and "re-furbished? Merc is looking for $2800 for new...yeow!

You really have to ask the (source) what they mean when they say reman or refurb because you get varying definitions depending on who you talk to.

In fact, if you look up "remanufacture" you will get definitions that include "to refurbish".

(Personally), refurb "should" mean the unit was tore down, cleaned, checked, any suspect/damaged parts replaced and the seals replaced - so it could have a mix of old and new parts.

A reman "should" have pretty much all the "important" guts replaced to bring it back to "the same as new specification" - gears, bearings etc within the existing case.

I have found that very few places actually reman, so you get a refurb regardless of how it's advertised - which is why you have to ask specific questions.

As long as you know what you are paying for, it kinda doesn't matter what term they use to describe it.

Since a lower unit is much easier/quicker to tear down than an entire powerhead, what I would personally consider "acceptable" is a little different.

If I was correcting a water intrusion problem and the gears/clutch were in good shape upon tear down, I wouldn't likely "automatically" change the bearings.

But if I crack a powerhead to address a bad piston I am likely to replace bearings which would be significantly more time consuming to get at and result in more/greater secondary costs if they are left until a later time.

So does simply cleaning/inspecting and resealing a lower unit constitute a reman or a refurb if all the guts are still within spec???

Back