Logo

Help please 1982 25hp

the_beave

I have a 1982 Mariner 25 hp ser # 695-311253 that I had to replace the impeller and the pump housing on! I did this today and started the motor and there was still no water comming out of the tell tale! I took everything apart and checked it all again and the only problem that I can find is that one of the 3 bolts that hold the housing in place will not tighten! I was talking to a boat shop and told them what was going on and they said that the bolt not holding it tight is letting the housing lift and loosing the water there instead of pumping it up! Does this sound right? I am going for diffrent stainless steel bolts today! Just for the record if I put water directly in the water line it comes out of the tell tale nice and stron so I know there is no blockage and the lower end is clean also!
Thanks

Re: Help please

Ok so I got the pump all nice and bolted on and am gonna put the motor back together today but I have thought about something that might be my problem so thought I would ask! The tub that I have been testing it in I just realized is too shallow to bring the water line up to the pump itself, it's prob about 2-3 inches below the pump level! Would the water not need to be above the pump for it to pump water? I have a set of muffs but have not tried them yet!

Water has to be at the cavitation plate,The plate above the vents that you put the muffs on,as long as the vents are in the water you should be fine at Idle.Might want to pull the tell tale hose from were it connects to the motor and make sure you can blow air through it,sometimes bugs crawl in there and block it up.Good Luck.

So I started it today on the muffs and had water! Runs a bit rough but gonna pick up some new plugs and a can of seafoam and give it some sea trials on Sat!

Well got it working but it won't run in the water! Works good on the muffs or even in my tub ,as long as I can get the water up high enough, but when I put it in the water, I can get it to run but it won't rev up!

Back