Logo

advice please

mercurymark

Contributing Member
My mate wants me to be his support boat on a big sponsored swim but i am concerned that running my 150hp black max at those speeds might do it no good. I have to premix the oil so could i alter the ratio a bit or would i need to open her up once in a while to clear her out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you worried about gunking things up by running at idle? You're not going to foul the plugs running it at idle for just an hour or two. You might have an issue if you had a normal use cycle of: starting it-idling for 3 minutes-shutting it down before the engine is fully warmed. But trolling along for a while isn't going to hurt anything. Slow speed trolling is a normal practice in my neck of the woods and I've never seen it cause any problems.

Thanks forn the reply. The only reason i was concerned is that i see a lot of boats with seperate trolling motors so assumed it wasn't good for them.

You'll commonly see that on fishing boats with large primary outboards. Using a smaller "kicker" outboard allows for better fine control of trolling speeds, as well as decreased fuel consumption.

Back