Logo

Chrysler 1983 50hp, shift linkage issue

emoney

Hi, I'm sorry this is my very 1st post, but I'm in desparate need for some direction.
I've got an '83, Chrysler 50hp ob and I need a part. Basically, I need the portion
that connects from the remote cable to the linkage that goes up & down in order
to shift. (Sorry for the lack of technical verbage, but hey, what's a rookie to do?).

The engine goes into gear, forward/reverse/neutral without problem by hand, but
there's no part connecting remote cable to that linkage. Previous owner had
rigged the engine to stay in forward at all times probably because he didn't want
to go to the effort to locate the correct part.

Anyway, if someone could direct me to where/who to contact and/or suggestions as
to alternatives if the part is obsolete. The model # of the engine is 507H3D.
Thanks a bunch, in advance............Eric:cool:

Re: Chrysler 50hp, shift linkage issue

Little update, I've ascertained the part I need (at least I hope), at least the linkage itself. Anybody (hellloooooo), got suggestions
on how the thing goes together? The motor will shift manually from under the cowling and seems to stay in all three positions, so
I'm hoping replacing this is all it takes. The biggest question I have is how does the remote cable attach to this part i've ordered?

What did you order?Show a pic of the parts your talking about.Fill out the profile,you might be close to someone who can help.J

I can't get a good enough picture to post, but I will when I receive it. Should be Thursday, Friday at the latest.
I updated the profile, but, ftr, I'm in Hudson, Florida. I've determined that I did get luck and it is indeed the part
I need. I'm more worried about installation now than anything. It's the connection to the actual shift cable
that concerns me. The "y bracket" install looks pretty straightforward, but having the right 'hook up' will be a different story, I'm afraid. I'll try to post pics of the area of concern as well, once that part gets here.

Another question, if I may, I'm about to install a fuel/water separator and I purchased one of the Attwood kits. I'm assuming I need some type of 3/8" hose end/nut for the existing fuel lines. Any suggestions as to where to find them. My old Chrysler never had one, of course, and I believe the kit was initially designed to be a replacement for a Merc. It's pretty basic with a bracket holding a fuel/water separator canister, much like an oil filter. They kit includes two brass plugs, as there's 4 actual "in/out" ports, two of which won't be used, hence the plugs.

Back